– College preparatory GPA and the aggregate SAT score were predictors of retention of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and business students.
– For every point increase in GPA, the odds were more than twice as much that the student would be retained.
– For every point increase in SAT, there was 0.3% increase in retention.
– Although a higher SAT score increases a student’s chance of retention, the increase was only slight.
– Colleges should place emphasis on the college preparatory GPA for science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and business applicants.